Mr. Morris Lessmore and his Fantastic Flying Books, “THE NUMBERLYS” and their world with no alphabet, and a favorite character named OLLIE are all coming together at Shreveport’s artspace this summer to welcome YOU and three famous animators to Northwest Louisiana to explore Phases: A Moonbot Retrospective. The public is invited to this very special retrospective exhibition celebrating five years of the life and art of Moonbot Studios. In addition, you can catch a rare glimpse of the personal work by more than 20 Moonbot animation artists in a showcase entitled “The Art side of the Moon.” Both exhibitions kick off with a FREE reception hosted by the Shreveport Regional Arts Council and honoring the team from the Oscar-winning Animation Studio Moonbot at artspace on Friday, May 20th at 5:30 p.m. The exhibition will run through August 13, 2016.
Artspace will be filled from top to bottom with must-see artwork and special events that will make summer fun for animation fans and the entire family:
● Never-before-seen CONCEPT ART from Moonbot film, book, app and video game projects
● Seven SHORT FILMS shown on theater-size screens including Academy Award®-winning, “THE FANTASTIC FLYING BOOKS OF MR. MORRIS LESSMORE”
● “THE ART SIDE OF THE MOON” a showcase of personal work including paintings, animation, sculptures and more by the Moonbot team
● A book READING ROOM for enjoying published works of William Joyce and the Moonbot team including “OLLIE’S ODYSSEY” and “THE MISCHIEVIANS”
● An INTERACTIVE iPad DISPLAY showcasing Moonbot apps including “THE NUMBERLYS” and “MOONBEEPS”
● A large working ZOETROPE to demonstrate how animation works
● A display of the MOONBOT STUDIO AWARDS, including an Oscar®, Emmy, Webby and more
● MAKE AND TAKE STEAM animation projects for all ages
● FREE Public Animation talks and registration, only, workshops by three renowned, award-winning animation artists-in-residence:
○ Joy Ang, June 15-17, 2016 (Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Marvel)
○ Bruce Smith, July 6-8, 2016, (Walt Disney, “Tarzan” and “The Princess and the Frog”)
○ Ralph Eggelston, August 3-5, 2016 (Pixar Animation Studios, “For the Birds,” “Wall-E,” “Monsters, Inc.” and “Toy Story”)
The first artist residency features Joy Ang, animator with the Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and Marvel Comics, who will give a FREE public animation talk on Thursday evening, June 16 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. On Friday, June 17, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., Ang will offer a registration, only,
Animation Workshop: Workshop fees are $20, or attendees can register for all summer workshops with Ang, Eggelston and Smith at a discounted rate of $50. Additional information and sign-up can be found online, www.artspaceshreveport.com or by calling 1-318-673-6500.
ABOUT MOONBOT STUDIOS
Founded by William Joyce, Brandon Oldenburg, and Lampton Enochs in 2009, Moonbot Studios has emerged as a leader in publishing, interactive media, animated content and branded entertainment. After winning an Academy Award® in 2012 for The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, the team of 50 in Shreveport, Louisiana has won every major creative award including several Emmy®, Cannes Lions and CLIO awards. Their client roster has included creative collaborations with Chipotle Mexican Grill (The Scarecrow), Dolby Laboratories (Silent) and The Ad Council (I Am A Witness). For more information, visit Moonbotstudios.com.